In a world where everything from meetings to movies flows in and out of your home via the internet, having a reliable WiFi connection is important. And with WiFi devices spread from the home office to the kitchen to the rec room, a WiFi router with a long range is a must.
The best WiFi router for long range will provide enough speed and bandwidth for devices all over your house and prevent loss of connectivity and dead zones. The right long-range router can avoid buffering, lag time, and signal loss, too.
Read on for reviews of some of the best WiFi routers for long range.
- BEST OVERALL:华硕AX6000 WiFi 6游戏路由器
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK:TP-Link Wifi 6 AX1500 Smart WiFi Router(Archer AX10)
- BEST UPGRADE:NETGEAR Orbi全家庭用三频网状WiFi 6系统
- 最佳家长控制：GRYPHON – Advance Security & Parental Control
- BEST USER-FRIENDLY:亚马逊eero 6双频网状Wi-Fi 6系统
- BEST FOR SPEED:TP-Link AX6000 WiFi 6 Router(Archer AX6000)
- 最适合流媒体：NETGEAR Nighthawk 12-Stream AX12 Wi-Fi 6 Router
What to Consider When Choosing the Best WiFi Router for Long Range
Many manufacturers rate their WiFi routers to cover a certain square footage, so check that against your needs. Long-range routers can provide WiFi for areas ranging from 2,000 to 10,000 square feet. The range will depend on several factors, including the type of antenna the router has and the home’s construction. Fireplaces, concrete walls, and multiple stories can act as barriers to the signal.
如果你还没有得到全覆盖，加一个WiFi extenderto amplify the router’s range in your home.
Sometimes a long-range router and extender don’t do the trick, and a boost is needed to cover a broader area. If that’s the case, consider a mesh network. A mesh network comes with a central router and additional satellite routers. The main router connects directly to the modem, and the satellites are placed throughout the house. The satellite routers create a network that spreads the WiFi signal across a larger area.
These networks can be configured and managed using a mobile app. A mesh network can provide advanced features like device prioritization, parental control, guest networking, and MU-MIMO (multi-user, multiple input, multiple output). That’s a fancy way of saying a lot of users on a lot of devices will be able to get on the WiFi at the same time.
The hardware inside the router matters, especially the CPU (processor) and the amount of RAM (short term data storage space.) Think of the router as a mini-computer. All data is processed through the modem and the router before it reaches its destination. Faster CPUs and more RAM improve the router’s performance. Older routers with slow CPUs and less RAM can cause network bottlenecks and can make even the fastest internet service lag. To solve this, look for routers that come with dual-core or quad-core CPUs and 1-gigabit or more of RAM.
Dual-Band vs. Tri-Band
There are two types of routers on the market:
- Dual-band routersbroadcast a wireless signal on two radio band frequencies: the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band. That’s desirable because older WiFi-enabled devices and newer smart-home devices typically only work on the 2.4 GHz band, while newer devices work on the less crowded (and therefore speedier) 5 GHz band.
- 三频路由器have a 2.4 GHz band and two 5 GHz bands. The third band allows more devices to connect and be busy all at once without slowing down the network.
一个5GHz frequency offers more bandwidth, faster speeds, and doesn’t compete with as many devices, so the WiFi signal is stronger. For devices connected to an online gaming service or流式视频服务,5 GHz乐队是更好的选择。
QoS (quality of service) manages data traffic on a WiFi network. This router feature allows the user to prioritize applications and clients on a network to improve WiFi range and performance. The user chooses what device gets premium bandwidth and what doesn’t. For instance, video conferencing and voice over IP (VoIP) could be set to have more WiFi rights during the day, and online gaming or movie streaming services could have priority at night. Whatever the preferences are, QoS settings work great for anyone who uses a lot of applications and bandwidth.
Other features to consider in a router:
- WiFi 6 compatibilityThe newest WiFi standard is WiFi 6. It offers faster speeds, less bandwidth congestion, and extends the battery life of mobile devices by only sending data when the devices are awake. WiFi 6 routers give superior performance.
- MU-MIMO(multi-user, multiple input, multiple output) is a nice feature to have insmart homes，其中可能有20多个设备连接到WiFi。MU-MIMO允许多个设备同时连接到路由器，减少信号等待时间，并加快网络速度。
- OFDMA(orthogonal frequency division multiple access) allows multiple devices with differing bandwidth needs to be served with WiFi at the same time, increasing efficiency.
- Beamformingfocuses a WiFi signal in the direction of a specific device, boosting the range and getting rid of dead zones.
- 一个firewalllets you control traffic flowing to and from the internet, protecting your network from hackers and prying eyes. The firewall also scans data to protect your security.
- 一个ntivirus softwareprevents virus and malicious malware from getting on a network.
- 来宾网络let you set up separate access for WiFi connectivity with a distinct password. You can give guests access to the internet without giving them access to other devices on the network.
- Parental controls让你在访客网络上设置孩子，阻止他们访问某些网站，限制对社交媒体平台的访问，并安排访问时间。
The following are some of the most popular WiFi routers for long range and have been measured against the aforementioned shopping considerations.
Capable of blazing fast 6 Gbps WiFi speeds over dual-bands, this router can handle busy networks, provide lag-free online gaming, and supply smooth video playback. The powerful quad-core CPU with 1-gigabyte of RAM also helps to ensure smooth streaming. The OFDMA and MU-MIMO increase capacity and efficiency, and the QoS settings allow a user to prioritize which applications get priority. For security, the router comes with AiProtection that blocks internet threats.
The dual-band WiFi 6 router has a combined network speed of 1.5 Gbps for faster online gaming, streaming, and more. Users can allocate devices to different bands for optimal performance. The tri-core processor ensures buffer-free communications between the router and connected devices and smoothly handles bandwidth-intensive activities.
三频路由器将数据传送到房子的每个角落。四核处理器拥有1G的RAM，确保了无缓冲区的体验。使用Orbi应用程序设置路由器和管理网络非常简单。该路由器还附带了由Bitdefender提供动力的NETGEAR Armour 30天免费试用版，以保护连接的设备免受病毒、恶意软件和数据窃取的影响。
GRYPHON’s tri-band WiFi router provides comprehensive parental controls and easy setup. Parents can set up the router through a smartphone app that also lets them manage their kids’ online usage by allowing them to apply content filtering, view browser history, set bedtimes and homework times, limit screen time, enforce safe search and safe YouTube access, and suspend internet usage anytime. The router has 24/7 security to protect devices against hackers and intruders.
One Gryphon unit covers a range of 3,000 square feet. It has six powerful antennas, beamforming, and MU-MIMO that enables multiple devices to connect at once. Because the units support mesh WiFi, users can add additional units as needed to increase coverage.
Setting up an eero Pro 6 mesh network is easy. Simply download the mobile app, create an account, and follow the simple instructions. Within minutes, a mesh system can be installed and ready to go. Plus, the app lets users manage the network from anywhere via smartphone and comes with free support 7 days a week. The eero WiFi router and satellites cover up to 5,000 square feet. Bye-bye dead spots and buffering. The TrueMesh technology intelligently routes traffic throughout the home, so there’s no need to worry about drop-offs while online gaming or streaming video.
Up to 75 devices can connect to the system simultaneously. As needs change, the network can be expanded by adding additional eero products.
流视频、游戏或视频会议多ple devices at once with NETGEAR’s Nighthawk AX12. It supports 12 simultaneous streams with a combined throughput of 6 Gbps. Eight high-efficiency antennas amplify the signal for a maximum range of 3,500 square feet. Beamforming boosts speed and coverage, OFDMA hikes up efficiency, and MU-MIMO allows for a slew of connected devices. The dual-band router intelligently selects the fastest band for each connection to ensure the best WiFi for all connected devices.
The router sets up in minutes using the Nighthawk app. The app also allows users to manage WiFi settings at the device and network level.
FAQs About WiFi Routers for Long Range
Still need information about long-range WiFi routers? Check out these answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.
远程路由器覆盖更广泛的区域和处理different types of devices connected to the network. They come with multiple antennas, and many of them support beamforming to send a WiFi signal where it’s needed most.
Yes and no. A better WiFi router can increase range, but in larger homes with a lot of problem areas, you may need to add a WiFi extender or set up a mesh network with a central router and satellite nodes throughout the home.
Q: How far away can a router be from a modem?
Some manufacturers recommend that the modem and router sit 3 feet apart. Having them too close together can cause signal interference or occasional signal loss.